Wednesday 27 February 2008

Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks - Real Emotional Trash

Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Real Emotional Trash
Release date: 03/03/2008
Label:
Domino Records

Noodle, Noodle, Noodle. I don't know what it is with Mr. Malkmus, but, since he's been joined by the Jicks, he's become more and more obsessed with his noodling guitar sounds. I loved his self titled album, and I liked "Face the Truth", but, I am afraid it seems like he's on the dreaded downward spiral.

First track "Dragon Fly" is not the most inspiring of starts to an album. They malaise into a meandering noodle fest fit for a slow motion air guitar face off, with streams of verbal nonsense. In fact, the first few tracks are bursting with childish nonsensical lyrics like "a dragon fly wants a piece of pie" and "do a little Willie hopscotch, like me". Come on Steve, this is just pointless. I know his style is random, and at times it can be brilliant, but this is just ridiculous.

"...more noodles than Wagamama's..."

It does get better though, I am glad to say. Title track "Real Emotional Trash" is an upbeat rockabilly rumble of a track that has a great whirling sound that blasts out just as he screams "please me". Please me it does. Then into "Out of Reaches" which has more noodles than Wagamama's. But, there is some soup within the bowl - in the form of a great chorus line - which saves it.

As a whole, this isn't a bad album, it's just a little disappointing. I wasn't expecting it to sound like a new Pavement album, in fact that would be more disappointing, I was just hoping it would be on par with his earlier solo releases. He has set the standards high and he is still great at putting together songs with perfect pop structures. I just wish there was less noodle and more soup.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think I'll be not going for this one... he's not exactly at the embarrassing 'Past it and should have quit years ago' stage but it doesn't sound like his music is getting any better.. I hardly ever listen to his previous 3 'solo' albums though I'm sure there are a few good tracks...whatever happened to mark Ibold!? skerzoh.

Fume said...

I think Ibold became a member of Sonic Youth, though I could be wrong. Cheers for the post Skerzo!

Anonymous said...

typical indie kid review bleh

this is the album i was hoping malkmus would FINALLY put out

No label persuasion, just personal opinion.